Read the article “Cognitive Effects of Risperidone in Children with Autism and Irritable Behavior”, and identify the research questions and/or hypotheses as they are stated. Consider the following questions: What are the variables (sample sizes, population, treatments, etc.)? How was the analysis of variance used in this article (and what type of ANOVA was used)?
Write a two- to three-page paper presenting the information listed below. In addition, provide a title page and reference page in APA style. Cite any references made to the article within the body of the paper in APA style. Your paper should begin with an introductory paragraph (including a thesis statement) and end with a concluding paragraph summarizing the major points made in the body of the paper and reaffirming the thesis.
The body of your paper must:
- Determine what question(s) the authors are trying to answer by doing this research.
- Determine the hypothesis being tested and the concepts that were applied in this process.
- Evaluate the article and critique the statistical analysis employed in the study. Would you have included more and/or different variables? Explain your answer.
- Examine the assumptions and limitations of the statistical study. What would you have done differently in this case? Explain your answer.
- Identify how the authors applied statistical testing to the problem.
- Interpret the findings of the author(s) using statistical concepts.
Access the Critical Thinking Community (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. website for tips on how to formulate your thoughts and discussion of these questions in a logical and meaningful manner.
Writing the Article Critique
- Must be three to four double-spaced pages in length (excluding title and reference pages), and formatted according to APA style
Aman, M. G., Hollway, J. A., McDougle, C. J., Scahill, L., Tierney, E., McCracken, J. T., . . . Posey, D. J. (2008). Cognitive effects of risperidone in children with autism and irritable behavior. Journal of Child and Adolescent Psychopharmacology, 18(3), 227-236. doi:http://dx.doi.org/10.1089/cap.2007.0133. Retrieved from the ProQuest database.
- This is an article on Autism that uses ANOVA as the main type of statistical analysis. This article is necessary to complete the assignment for this week.
- Accessibility Statement (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site. (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
The Critical Thinking Community (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. (http://www.criticalthinking.org)
- This website teaches and promotes the main tenets of critical thinking. There are some excellent articles that can help you better understand what critical thinking is and how to utilize it in everyday life.
- Accessibility Statement does not exist
Statgraphics Centurion. (2006).Analysis of variance (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. Retrieved from http://www.statgraphics.com/analysis_of_variance.htm
- This interactive website describes in detail how to use several types of ANOVA. It also includes examples and graphical displays.
VassarStats: Website for Statistical Computation (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. (http://vassarstats.net)
- This is a website includes tools to calculate many of the statistical tests we cover in this course including t-tests, ANOVA, correlation, and regression. Each calculator includes a tutorial and/or walkthrough.
Web Center for Social Research Methods (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.. (http://socialresearchmethods.net)
- This website includes links to numerous tools and tutorials relating to statistical concepts, calculations, and scale development.