Need this custom essay written urgently?
Note: To open PDF documents, you will need the Adobe® Reader® software (available as a free download at: http://get.adobe.com/reader/).
- Course Text: Berns, R. M. (2013). Child, family, school, community: Socialization and support (9th ed.). Belmont, CA: Thomson/Wadsworth.
- Chapter 1, “Ecology of the Child” (pp. 3–31)
- Chapter 2, “Ecology of Socialization” (pp. 33–69)
Resources for Action Plan 1
- Web Article: Children as Victimes of Hurrican Katrina http://www.extension.purdue.edu/cfs/topics/HD/ChildrenVictimsHurrKatrina.pdf
- Article: Callebs, S. (2008). Divorce Stalks Katrina survivors. Retrieved from http://www.cnn.com/2008/LIVING/personal/08/29/broken.homes.katrina/
- Article: Loney, J. (2008). Nearly 40,000 Katrina Families still in mobile homes. Retrieved from http://www.reuters.com/article/2008/04/02/us-storm-hurricanes-katrina-idUSN0239834420080402?pageNumber=1&virtualBrandChannel=0
- Article: Shriver, M. (2008). How to help kids cope with disaster: Ten tips. Retrieved from http://www.savethechildren.org/site/c.8rKLIXMGIpI4E/b.6115947/k.8D6E/Official_Site.htm
- Article: Lazarus, P. J., Jimerson, S. R., & Brock, S. E. (2003). Helping children after a natural disaster: Information for parents and teachers. Retrieved from http://www.nasponline.org/resources/crisis_safety/naturaldisaster_ho.aspx
Web Article: After a Disaster: Helping Young Children Heal
Web Article: Helping Children After a Disaster
With these Learning Resources in mind, please proceed to the Content Review.
- Respond to each item. Each response should be concise and between 2–3 paragraphs in length.
- Use MS Word to write your responses, and submit your answers to all three questions in one Word document.
- Copy and paste each question within the document, so that your Instructor can see which question you are responding to.
- Chapter 1 in the course text explains the concept of an ecological model of human development. Review the information on pages 17–27, including Figure 1.4 on page 18. Then define in your own words the structures of this ecological model, microsystems, mesosystems, exosystems, macrosystems, and chronosystem, and explain how each influences the socialization of a young child. Conclude by choosing two of these structures and explain how each influenced your own socialization, using examples from your own childhood.
- Chapter 2 explains that children learn the ways of the society in which they live via traditions, rituals and routines, and symbols. Explain the differences between each of these and one way each contributes to children’s knowledge of their own cultural group.
- “Messages” from important people in their lives influence the outcomes of children’s socialization experiences. For example, parents who allow their male child to play only with “boy” toys communicate a message that may influence their child’s attitude about gender roles. Review the outcomes of socialization highlighted on pages 67–68 in your text. Choose three outcomes that are of most interest to you. Then, using examples, describe how early education, such as a preschool program, might influence each outcome