Unit outcomes addressed in this Assignment:
- Identify several relevant health science issues.
- Instructions As a health science student, it is important to be aware of important issues in your field of interest. This unit’s Assignment will help make you more aware of the U.S. health care system. You will do a lot of research and then create a short PowerPoint presentation designed to show which part of the healthcare system should receive more funding.
Select one “Focus Area” that you are interested in from the six choices listed along the right side of the page. The six choices are:
- Veteran’s Administration
- Mental Health/Substance Abuse Treatment & Prevention
- Women’s Health/Family Planning
- Health Promotion/Disease Prevention
- Long-term Care
- Public Health
Using the Web links provided on the page, begin your research. If you find you need further information, you are encouraged to continue your investigation using the KU Library, online sources, or textbooks and periodicals at your disposal.
For the “Focus Area” you have chosen, please consider the following questions as you are doing your research:
- Why is this focus area important to our overall healthcare system?
- What population is directly served and how do they benefit from services and programs in this area?
- What are some of the most notable programs available to patients or clients in your area of focus?
- What areas could use improvement?
- How would significant funding improve the care being provided?
When you have finished your research from the questions in your Focus Area, prepare a short PowerPoint presentation (minimum 10 slides not including cover slide and reference slide) that is designed to show why your selected “Focus Area” of the healthcare system should receive funding. Imagine a realistic scenario that there are limited monies available, and sell why your Focus Area should receive it, based upon the several questions you answered about it.