the short fiction essay
Choose one of the stories from the Lesson Two readings that you did not focus on in your initial post during week two. Think about what you believe the theme/point is behind the story. After you have a plan, begin to write a draft of your short fiction essay. Please make sure to review the readings from Lesson One. You are expected to understand this information. Please also incorporate the literary vocabulary discussed in lesson one, most specifically the elements of fiction: “” and “.” Please use to interpret your chosen short story within your essay; that is, you should offer a close reading of your chosen short story. Please cite from your chosen short story, and do not use any other additional sources in your work. Your interpretation must be at least 500 words, but no more than 750 words.
Please remember the following:
- Do not use the same short story you used in your initial post during week two. I will be checking.
- Avoid any and all summary sites within your essay. Please see the week two lesson for a list of these sites.
- Use MLA format and citations in this essay. See the for an example of an MLA formatted essay.
- Make sure your essay has a clear introduction and thesis statement (topic plus point about that topic) at the bottom of your introduction. Please introduce your chosen short story in your introduction.
- Make sure your body paragraphs are focus on proving your thesis statement – theme of the story. Do not summarize the story. I have read the story and know it well. I want to know your unique interpretation of this story.
- Please see the following . Note that this essay is a bit longer than what is expected, and also note that you may not write an essay using the same focus as this sample Hawthorne essay. However, this essay may help you understand the expectations for this assignment.
- Make sure to have a conclusion that does not bring in new information.
- Use literary present and third person in your essay, as discussed in lesson two.
there is a sample of what the MLA essay should
I will send the story/poem to write about on Sunday, Monday the latest.