System Safety Engineering
System Safety Engineering.
Leveson, N. G. (2011). Engineering a safer world: Systems thinking applied to safety. Cambridge, MA: Massachusetts Institute of Technology.
Unit VIII Homework
Operations Safety Management Plan
– Review the information in your textbook (Leveson, 2011, pp. 412-414) related to the Operations Safety Management Plan design.
– Review the Figure C.1 depiction of a sample Safety Control Structure in your textbook (Leveson, 2011, p. 500).
– Review and use a minimum of five (5) peer-reviewed journal articles from the CSU Online Library (Academic Search Complete) to support your design work.
Option 1: Design an Operations Safety Management Plan for your own organization or an organization that is familiar to you.
Option 2: Design an Operations Safety Management Plan for a bulk tank railcar off-loading facility for hydrocarbon products that has the following features:
A one railcar switch located next to an interstate highway,
B . capacity to off-load both liquid hydrocarbon products and liquefied, compressed, natural gas products,
C . two 500,000-gallon bulk liquid storage tanks for liquid hydrocarbon products,
D . two 45,000-gallon bullet-styled, horizontal, liquid storage tanks for liquefied, compressed natural gas
E . one off-loading station (single-sided) that is elevated 12 feet from the ground,
F. one flare for over-pressurized gas tank railcars,
G. one 3,000-gallon condensation storage tank, and
H. one switch engine for staging railcars at the off-loading station and at railcar storage tracks.
Using the CSU APA-styled paper as a formatting template, design a minimum eight-page Operations Safety Management Plan with a minimum of five (5) scholarly sources (books and articles) using the following APA Level 1 headings:
2. Safety Organization
5. Safety Information System
6. Operations Hazard Analysis
7. Evaluation and Planned Use of Feedback for System Maintenance
8. Safety Control Structure Diagram (Design a Safety Control Structure Diagram for your work system and use as the content.