Deadline and Deliverable
By Sunday, May 3, 2015, please select any 1 of the following topics and respond in an organized, 600-word essay that supports your statements by specific reference to relevant sections of the document. Submit your paper as an attachment in MS Word format to the W4 Assignment 2 Dropbox.
- Length: At least 600 words.
- MLA Format (See a sample MLA-formatted essay)
- Citations: Your essay must include a works cited page in MLA format with complete citations for each source you used. These sources must also be cited in the body of your paper in parenthetical references.
- Essay Structure: Your essay should have an introductory paragraph with a thesis statement as the last sentence in the paragraph, several well-organized supporting paragraphs, and a concluding paragraph that sums up the main points of your paper and demonstrates to your reader that the thesis has been proven.
- Quotations: Be sure that any and all text you have copied directly from a source is in quotation marks and is followed by a parenthetical reference. When you have paraphrased from a source, you must also use a parenthetical reference. Please limit your quoted material to 15% of the total word count of the paper. This means that the other 85% of your paper needs to be paraphrased from your sources or your own critical analysis.
- Describe the response of America to the rise of nationalism in Japan, Italy, and Germany during the 1930s. How did President Franklin D. Roosevelt ready the nation for war?
- How did the advent of the atomic age affect American society? Some interesting information regarding the atom bomb can be found at:
- Discuss the origins of the Cold War and the sources of growing tension between the United States and the U.S.S.R. at the end of World War 2.
- Describe the basic elements of President Harry Truman’s policy of containment. How did the threat of atomic warfare affect this policy? (Reading Truman’s speech from March 1947 will provide some insight.)
- Discuss the role of the United States in Korea in the decade after World War 2. How did the Korean War affect the 1952 presidential election?