Here’s the project:
• After completing the Reading & Listening assignment for this week, select a recorded song that you would like to examine.
–You can select a song mentioned in the text Chapters 2-3, or any song generally covered in this era (1955-1963).
–Please don’t choose a song for which a detailed analysis is done in the text.
• Create a word processor document, and start with this information:
- Song title
- Recording artist(s)
- Year of release
- Record label
- Song style or market (e.g. Tin-Pan Alley, Country Western, Rhythm & Blues)
- Any background or fun fact (not required)
• Create a 1-2 page analysis:
–Your analysis should take any perspective you like
–It should be based on your current understanding of music and music history
–It can be based on content from the text (but don’t quote directly)
–It can be similar to the analysis style you see in the text, but does not have to be
–You could compare to other songs, or draw some conclusion as to its place in cultural history
–Text should be double-spaced, with good grammar and spelling
–You do not need to footnote or provide sources (you are providing your own conclusions)