MATH ASSIGNMENT FOR MATH GURU
Answer each of the following questions in your own words. Do not copy and paste or retype the questions themselves into your document, as this will cause unreliable results at Turnitin.com. Simply provide the answers.
Now consider the following:
Vivian purchased the newest version of a smartphone for $504.99 through a nationwide product distributor. Before making the purchase, she found an electronic coupon that allowed her to take 15% off of the purchase price. At the time of online “check-out” she redeemed her coupon. Following this redemption, a 4% shipping charge was added to the final cost.
Vivian wondered: “What if the online company had charged shipping first, and then allowed me to redeem my coupon? Since the 15% coupon would be applied to a higher cost, wouldn’t I pay less?”
- First guess. Do you think Vivian is correct? Why?
- Then, calculate. Now how would you respond to Vivian’s question? Support your answer with a detailed mathematical explanation.
- How do these results compare with the problem you solved in the discussion activity? Explain.
You may use ideas from the discussion board, but you are expected to write your solution using your own words to explain your reasoning. The report should be no more than 3 pages.
Keep the following in mind to maximize credit for your write-up:
- Review the rubric your instructor will use to score your work. (See Evaluation Criteria below).
- Answer all parts of the problem.
- Write your solution in your own words. Show your justification for every step in your solution, using clear, mathematically accurate language. You can use phrases to explain your reasoning from step to step, but clearly state your final conclusions using complete English sentences (for example, “Jill needs to add 43 gallons of water to her pool”).
- Label all numbers with the units they represent (e.g., 0.3048 ft/meter).
- Type your write-up in MS Word and try to use the Equation Editor so that your equations are clear.
- The video How to use Equation Editor in Microsoft Office is a good tutorial. For this course, it is sufficient to watch segments 0:00-5:00 and 9:50-12:00. Don’t forget how to cancel units in Word, which was explained in Module 1.
- If you cannot type your equations, you may hand-write the mathematics in dark ink, scan your paper, check for legibility then upload your work.