Write a research paper in which you address the performance management system of a selected organization, based on information you have gathered and analyzed about the organization.
It is essential for members of management to understand the importance of conducting appraisals because an effective performance management system is key in improving employee performance, which ultimately adds to the bottom line of the organization. Failure to communicate performance expectations and achievements means that employees might not understand what is expected of them or how they can improve. Additionally, formal performance management is imperative to help protect an organization against legal claims. By successfully completing this assessment, you will demonstrate your proficiency in the following course competencies and assessment criteria:
- Competency 1: Apply human resource strategies to business needs.
- Describe a performance management system.
- Analyze ways an organization can protect itself from litigation related to performance management.
- Competency 2: Prepare appropriate communication to facilitate management decision-making.
- Explain performance feedback processes.
- Competency 4: Appreciate the strategic value of HRM within a competitive global business environment.
- Analyze techniques used as attempts to improve employee performance.
The following optional resources are provided to support you in completing the assessment or to provide a helpful context. For additional resources, refer to the Research Resources and Supplemental Resources in the left navigation menu of your courseroom.
The following e-books or articles from the Capella University Library are linked directly in this course:
- Lawler, E. E. (2008). Talent: Making people your competitive advantage. Hoboken, NJ: Jossey-Bass.
- Chapter 4, “Managing Talent.”
- Chapter 5, “Managing Performance.”
- Chapter 6, Information and Decision Making.”
- Chapter 7, “Reinventing HR.”
- Grenny, J. (2012). Change anything: The 21st-century approach to performance management and avoiding the willpower trap. Leader To Leader, 2012(63), 26–31.
Course Library Guide
A Capella University library guide has been created specifically for your use in this course. You are encouraged to refer to the resources in the BUS-FP3040 – Fundamentals of Human Resource Management Library Guide to help direct your research.
The resources listed below are relevant to the topics and assessments in this course and are not required. Unless noted otherwise, these materials are available for purchase from the Capella University Bookstore. When searching the bookstore, be sure to look for the Course ID with the specific –FP (FlexPath) course designation.
- Noe, R. A., Hollenbeck, J. R., Gerhart, B., & Wright, P. M. (2018). Fundamentals of human resource management (7th ed.). New York, NY: McGraw Hill.
- Choose an organization to use for this assessment. It can be where you are currently employed or a company with which you are familiar. It must be an organization that is researchable, as you will need to gather and analyze information in order to complete the assessment. You may use the same organization for the other assessments in this course.
- If you choose the organization where you are currently employed, please keep in mind that the analyses you make must be based on facts that can be documented rather than your personal opinion as an employee.
- Research the performance management system of your chosen organization.
Based on your research into the performance management system of the organization you selected, write a research paper in which you complete the following:
- Describe the performance management system that is currently in place.
- Explain the formal performance feedback process.
- Describe any informal performance feedback that takes place.
- Analyze how the organization protects itself from any litigation related to performance management.
- Analyze the techniques used by managers in the organization to try to improve employee performance.
Please note: You must address all the required elements of this assessment. If details for any of the bulleted points are unavailable, research the topic and present recommendations you believe would be best for the organization, along with your supporting rationale.
- Your submitted assessment should include a title page, introduction, body, conclusion, and reference page.
- Be sure you support your analyses with references to at least two resources.
- You should format this assessment as a research paper following APA 6th edition guidelines for both style and citing sources, making sure that you also use correct grammar and mechanics.
- There is no required minimum or maximum page length; however, you should strive to be as detailed as possible in addressing each bullet point, while also being as clear and concise as possible