management and administration of health care systems W3A1 Part 1
Social Marketing, Management, and Organizational Behavior
Transparent and accountable governance and strong leadership are the cornerstones of successful public health operations and delivery of public health services.
Respond to the following questions in relation to governance and leadership:
- What are the differences between governance and leadership?
- What systems or processes should public health agencies utilize to ensure communication and accountability between their governing board and leaders? Justify your answers.
According to Kotter (2001), ” . . . leadership and management are two distinctive and complementary systems of action. Each has its own function and characteristic activities. Both are necessary for success in an increasingly complex and volatile business environment.”
Respond to the following questions in relation to management and leadership:
- What are the differences between leadership and management?
- Why do you think Kotter described leadership and management ascomplementary systems of action?
In recent years, the optimal management structure has shifted from a narrow span of control to a broad or wide span of control. Earlier, three to seven individuals were reporting to the same manager (narrow span), whereas today, it is common to have twenty or more staff members reporting to the same person (broad span), as stated in the course textbook.
Based on the readings for this week, the South University Online Library, and the Internet, respond to the following discussion points:
- Identify at least one pro and one con for each span of control described above.
- State, with reasons, which of the two structures you would recommend.
Support work, by citing your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format.