HRM Short Essay on Labor Unions and Internal Employee Relations
Labor Unions and Collective Bargaining
· Explore the role of labor unions.
· Describe the basic union structure and organized labor’s strategies for a stronger movement.
· Discuss laws affecting collective bargaining.
· Summarize the formation of bargaining units and the collective bargaining process.
· Describe the grievance procedure in a union environment.
· Explain union decertification.
Internal Employee Relations.
· Explain the concept of employment at will.
· Describe the concept of discipline and summarize disciplinary action.
· Discuss employment termination of various occupational groups.
· Explain the use of ombudspersons and alternative dispute resolution.
· Describe transfers, promotions, resignations, and retirements as factors involved in internal employee relations.
1. Define employment at will. Are there legal exceptions to the employment-at-will doctrine? How can employers protect themselves from wrongful discharge lawsuits? Discuss
2. What is collective bargaining? What is involved in the collective bargaining process?
– essay form (narrative form) no Bullet points should not to be used
– at least 1.5 – 2 pages in length, Times New Roman 12-pt font, double-spaced, 1 inch margins and utilizing
– 2 outside scholarly or professional source related to human resource management.
– APA formatting and citation should be used.
– Textbook : Title: Human Resource Management , ISBN: 9780134739724 Authors: Martocchio Publisher: Pearson Edition: 15TH 19