Graduate School Personal Statement
Read these two articles:
Look at this website: Stanford Business (Links to an external site.)Links to an external site.
And this document: ASU Essay questions
Respond to these three actual questions from Stanford and ASU, which were on the website and in the document you read.
- The Stanford Essay A / approx. 750 words
What matters most to you, and why?
For this essay, they would like you to:
Do some deep self-examination, so you can genuinely illustrate who you are and how you came to be the person you are.
Share the insights, experiences, and lessons that shaped your perspectives, rather than focusing merely on what you’ve done or accomplished.
Write from the heart, and illustrate how a person, situation, or event has influenced you.
Focus on the “why” rather than the “what.”
- The ASU Essay #1 / approx. 250 words
Essay Question #1
Today’s business climate is volatile, uncertain, complex and ambiguous (VUCA). Knowing this, describe your career goals and how you will use your MBA to thrive and add value in this VUCA world.
- The ASU Essay #3 / approx. 250 words
Essay Question #3
Your biography is being made into a movie. What are the top five most meaningful scenes, and what song must be in the soundtrack? Why?
- sans-serif font of your choice
- double spaced
- number your pages
- put your name on the top left of the first page
- use headings to label the sections for each question
- be mindful of your tone and voice
- ask trusted friends and family for feedback
- edit your work
- be yourself, but be professional, too
- make sure you actually and fully respond to each question