Allocate at least 1 hour in the field to support this field experience.
Interview one content area classroom teacher that services ELLs in a Title 1 setting about how assessment is used for placement. You should also inquire also about how placement is determined for both special education and gifted ELLs. Your questions might include, but not limited to, the following:
- What are the indicators of exceptionality a classroom teacher should look for when a student also has a language barrier?
- How do informal and formal assessment results factor into placement?
- What role do parents and teachers have in placement?
- What are some primary factors that are exhibited in underachievement that may not necessarily signal special education needs?
- How are changes among individual ELL proficiency levels over the course of the school year accounted for?
- How are diagnostic, formative, and summative assessments integrated for ELLs in mainstream classrooms?
- What are the benefits of the SIOP protocol for native English speakers as well as those for whom English is an additional language?
Consolidate your findings in a 15-20 slide PowerPoint presentation to inform your colleagues about the assessment and placement process.
Describe the content and use of the Arizona English Language Learner Assessment (AZELLA) in guiding ELL instruction. How do AZELLA score reports facilitate achievement among ELLs? Compare the use of the AZELLA to the assessment and placement process in your state. If your state is Arizona, you may elaborate on this process. How does the assessment and placement process in your state facilitate achievement among ELLs?
Support your presentation with at least three scholarly resources.
Include presenter’s notes, a title slide, and a reference slide.
While APA style is not required for the body of this assignment, solid academic writing is expected, and in-text citations and references should be presented using the documentation guidelines found in the APA Style Guide, located in the Student Success Center.
This assignment uses a grading rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.
You are required to submit this assignment to LopesWrite.