EDU WEEK 4 Journal
Using two different sources, respond in writing (APA format) using the prompts below to guide your written analysis.
Questions to discuss:
- How does the Exemplars criteria for both math and reading rubrics follow a top-down or bottom-up approach? How do you know?
- To what degree are performance level descriptions addressed?
- Do these live up to what the author proposes, that “. . .the most important aspect of the levels is that performance be described, with language that depicts what one would observe in the work rather than the quality conclusions one would draw” (p.26)?
- In your opinion, what are the values placed on using the terminology for mastery (Novice, Apprentice, Practitioner, and Expert)? In other words, how effective do you believe this terminology is and why?
Download the Catalina Foothills Critical Thinking Rubrics and reflect on the following questions:
- What are your general impressions of this rubric holistically and in its respective parts (Thinking/Reasoning Skills)?
- How does this rubric support thinking as learned during Week Three and described by the Partnership for 21st Century Skills?
- Evaluate: How could these types of rubrics specifically aid a teacher in assessment? Instructionally?
Add a brief (1 paragraph) analysis of the Learning Activity: Usefulness of Rubrics Poll.
- Recap your responses and tell how you think having a poll question opportunity like this could serve as a way for teachers to assess students.