dr. Sidney Please
Access the following to complete the Assessment:
– Document #1: Observation Report of a Co-Teaching Classroom
– Document #2: Preschool Staff Meeting Minutes
– Document #3: Editorial on the Implementation of a PLC
– Article 1: Using Skilled Dialogue to Transform Challenging Interactions.
– Article 2: What is a Professional Learning Community?
This Assessment is a Performance Task in which you will analyze a co-teaching and collaboration case study, create an in-service presentation regarding effective communication and collaboration strategies, and develop a Professional Learning Community plan.
Your response to this Assessment should:
1. Reflect the criteria provided in the Rubric, which provides information on how the Assessment will be evaluated.
2. Adhere to the required assignment length.
3. Use the APA course paper template available here. All submissions must follow the conventions of scholarly writing. Properly formatted APA citations and references must be provided where appropriate.
Professional Skills: Technology, Oral Communication , and Written Communication are assessed in this Competency. You are strongly encouraged to use the Writing Checklist and to review the rubric prior to submitting.
This Assessment requires submission of two (2) documents and one (1) PowerPoint presentation with audio. Part I and Part III are Word documents and Part II is a PowerPoint. Save these files as CC002_Part I_firstinitial_lastname (for example, CC002_J_Smith); CC002_Part II_firstinitial_lastname; and CC002_PartIII_firstinitial_lastname. When you are ready to upload your completed Assessment, select “Submit Attempt”.
Part I: Co-Teaching, Communication, and Collaboration
Using Document #1: Observation Report of a Co-Teaching Classroom, answer the following questions (two to three pages):
1. What is at least one benefit of using co-teaching strategies in the early childhood classroom?
2. What two co-teaching strategies would be useful for the teachers in the observation report to use? Why did you choose the strategies, and how can the teachers use them to make their co-teaching relationship more effective?
3. What is one piece of feedback you would provide for each of the two teachers in the observation report regarding communicating and collaborating more effectively?
4. Describe a specific strategy for building communication and collaboration skills in the co-teaching setting. Include a rationale for choosing this strategy.
Part II: In-Service Presentation: Communication and Collaboration
Based on Document #1: Observation Report of a Co-Teaching Classroom and the information provided in Barrera and Kramer’s “Using Skilled Dialogue to Transform Challenging Interactions,” create an in-service presentation on effective communication and collaboration techniques, incorporating the information provided in the scenario as well as from the professional knowledge base. Part II of this assessment is an oral presentation that is 5-7 minutes in length and accompanied by 7-10 PowerPoint slides. The presentation must include:
1. An overview of at least three effective respectful, reciprocal, and responsive communication and collaboration strategies, and a rationale for why you chose the strategies.
2. An explanation of the benefits of applying respectful, reciprocal, and responsive strategies when communicating with colleagues and other professionals.
3. An explanation of at least one strategy for resolving conflict in the workplace. Include examples relevant to the early childhood professionals in the scenario.
If you are unfamiliar with how to add audio to a PowerPoint presentation, please use this tutorial.
Part III: PLC Plan
Submit a description of the PLC plan you will create to improve school readiness at the center. Base your PLC plan on Document #2: Preschool Staff Meeting Minutes, Document #3: Editorial on the Implementation of a PLC, and the information provided in “What is a Professional Learning Community?” by Richard DuFour. Your response should be three to four pages in length. Your description should include:
1. The visions and three measurable goals of the PLC.
2. Clearly defined roles and responsibilities of administrators and teachers.
3. How PLC teams will be structured, a protocol for meetings, and an explanation of how evidence-based decision making will guide the PLC.
4. The benefits of the PLC you have planned. In your explanation of the benefits of the PLC, address the concerns from the newspaper article in Document #3: Editorial on the Implementation of a PLC.
Barrera, I., & Kramer, L. (2012). Using skilled dialogue to transform challenging interactions.Retrieved from http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/2012NAEYC_Ebook3.pdf”>http://www.naeyc.org/files/naeyc/2012NAEYC_Ebook3.pdf
DuFour, R. (2004). What is a professional learning community? Educational Leadership.Retrieved from http://www.ascd.org/publications/educational-leadership/may04/vol61/num08/What-Is-a-Professional-Learning-Community%C2%A2.aspx
It is strongly recommended that you review all Learning Resources and complete the Learning Activities prior to attempting the Assessment.