done tonite before mid night
A young Mexican-American man and his wife recently relocated to an upscale neighborhood in the suburbs of Chicago. Although the man speaks with a strong accent, he is fluent in English. The man works for a corporation in the area, and his family makes the average income for those living within that region of the state. Unfortunately, while looking for an apartment to rent, the man has two encounters with potential landlords that leave him feeling frustrated and discriminated against. Upon meeting with the man in person, both landlords denied the man the ability to rent from their facilities. Upon returning to his wife after these encounters, the man complained about the “crooked and underhanded” landlords that he had met as well as the possibility of filing a formal complaint.
Summarize the example above, and provide similar examples from your own research of current events. Some examples might include minority people being denied access to jobs, harsher punishments for people of color, and so forth. Feel free to use various media sources to obtain a variety of examples. Cite and describe at least 3 examples in addition to the one provided above.
Complete the following:
- Include an account of each example and the people involved.
- Describe the reactions of the public, if applicable.
- Discuss cultural attitudes toward minority people in your example that might be relevant in understanding your example.
- Discuss cultural attitudes toward women and men that might be relevant in understanding these events.
- Explain the social psychology theories related to prejudice and discrimination that are evident in your examples.
- According to social psychology, why does discrimination occur?
- Does social psychology offer possible theories about reducing hostility between groups? If so, do you think those ideas would be applicable to your examples