Discussion: Culturally Responsive and Individually Appropriate Curriculum: Perceived Benefits and Challenges
Planning, implementing, and assessing effective early childhood programs and practices that support and enhance the development and learning of every child and respond to the unique strengths and needs of every child and family may at first seem overwhelming. This is especially true when considering the vast diversity that may coexist in an early childhood environment.
For your Discussion, this week, consider factors that may need to be taken into account when individualizing programs and practices specifically in the areas of language and ability. Consider what you view as benefits and potential challenges with regard to children, families, and professionals.
By Day 3
- A summary of what you have come to believe about the factors that may need to be taken into account to be responsive to:
- Children and families with varying needs with regard to language diversity and English Language Learning
- Children with varying abilities and their families
- Benefits and challenges associated with planning, implementing, and assessing culturally responsive, individually appropriate curriculum
- Assumptions and/or misconceptions you have discovered about any of the points above and how those assumptions have been dispelled
- Strategies to ensure that benefits are maximized and challenges overcome