Discussion Board 5.1: Public Health Initiative: Town Hall Meeting
- What does the term “stakeholder” mean in a public health context?
- How do stakeholders from various backgrounds come together to make decisions that will impact health in the community?
- What types of sectors can you identify in your own community? Who are your community leaders? Have you thought about contacting one of your community leaders to either volunteer or schedule a mentoring visit?
Your assignment is to read Exercise 10-1 Attacking Gangs in a Big City on page 138 in your text. After you have read the scenario, choose one of the roles below and present your potential solutions to the gang problem in your initial post. Then, in your two comments to peers, you will discuss the proposed solutions from a decision- or policy-making perspective.
- Read Exercise 10-1 Attacking Gangs in a Big City on page 138 in your text.
- Choose ONE of the roles below and think about how this particular community leader or stakeholder might think about proposed solutions for the situation at hand:
- Mayor of Big City
- Big City Department of Public Health Director
- Big City Police Chief
- Big City Superintendent of Schools
- President of concerned parent group
- Pastor of Big City Church
- Director of Big City YMCA
- Big City resident who witnessed a gang shooting in front of his/her home
- Big City resident who is a victim of a gang shooting incident. This young man, aged 24 has become an advocate for gun safety and gun restriction as, during the shooting incident, he suffered an injury that left him paralyzed from the waist down. He now uses a wheelchair for mobility.
3. In no more than 350 words, tell your classmates which role you chose and describe the solutions you plan to propose. Be sure to include your “WHY,” telling your classmates what the rationale is behind your proposed ideas.