Discussion 1 PHI 210 (Discussion one and two)
Please read the instruction carefully, each half page and totally one page but not more than 1 and 1/2. NO copy work will be rejected.
Discussion 1 PHI 210 (Half a page)
Please choose one of these options to write about.
Option 1: depends upon the article called “The Believing Game” by Peter Elbow. Please read it (attached here for convenience) and respond. What do you think about the idea of using an imaginative game instead of trying to convince people with reasons? Can you think of a situation in your own relationships or work where you might try to apply these techniques? Copy and paste on your browser to read the pdf file.
Believing Game.pdf (https://blackboard.strayer.edu/courses/1/PHI210022VA016-1188-001/db/_71224965_1/embedded/Believing%20Game.pdf)
Option 2: Practice a brief sketch of your upcoming essay. This does not need to be as lengthy as the essay, it is just a chance to practice. The goal here is to ask the believing questions about ideas you disagree with.
1. Select one (1) of the approved topics from the www.procon.org Website and state your real position on the issue.
2. From the Procon.org Website, identify three (3) premises (reasons) listed under either the Pro or Con section — whichever section opposes your position.
3. For the three (3) premises (reasons) that oppose your position on the issue, answer these “believing” questions suggested by Elbow:
o What’s interesting or helpful about this view?
o What would I notice if I believed this view?
o In what sense or under what conditions might this idea be true?
Discussion 1 PHI 210 Q2 (Half a page)
“Understanding and Analyzing Arguments”
Use the Internet to search for an example of an enthymeme in the media (e.g., Internet, television, radio, newspapers, etc.).
· You may find an op-ed, political piece, advertising, et cetera.
· Identify the implied premise in the enthymeme.
· Why did you choose this example?