Deliverable 7 – Healthcare Intake Packet
- Evaluate public health policies and practices as they relate to legal and ethical implications for individuals and populations.
- Analyze health needs, disparities, and healthcare delivery systems within the context of cultural, social, legal, political, and economic forces.
- Examine the structure of the U.S. legal system and government as it relates to ethics, law, and core principles of public health.
- Assess current legal and ethical principles and the application of such principles in healthcare practice.
- Analyze ethical and legal dilemmas that healthcare workers may encounter in the medical field.
- Examine legal requirements for managing patient information, health information documentation, the release of information, and electronic health records.
You have recently been promoted to Health Services Manager at Three Mountains Regional Hospital, a small hospital located in a mid-size city in the Midwest. Three Mountains is a general medical and surgical facility with 400 beds. Last year there were approximately 62,000 emergency visits and 15,000 admissions. More than 6,000 outpatient and 10,000 inpatient surgeries were performed.
The CEO and the Board of Directors have tasked you with developing an intake packet for new patients that will help establish patient trust in the facility and its employees. The patient packet will address new patient concerns by including information about HIPAA, informed consent, a confidential health history report, and a living will. The new packet will also include the values of the organization and a code of ethics.
You are now ready to take the basic components you have created so far and, using those as a foundation, create the final Intake Packet the hospital will use during admissions. The Intake Packet will be comprised of the following elements:
- A New Patient Letter to accompany the Intake Packet
- The letter should be in business letter format (Here is a library resource for help writing a business letter.)
- The letter should address the following points for the patient:
- An explanation of the importance of ethics
- Why each part of the packet is included
- How the packet is to be used
- The letter should also include a HIPAA/Confidentiality statement
- The letter should also include a Privacy Pledge
- The Code of Ethics
- Based on your PowerPoint Presentation, create a one-page bulleted Code of Ethics
- A sample Living Will
- Make any necessary changes to your Living Will template and include it as part of the Intake Packet
- Create a new form for the patient to sign, acknowledging receipt of the above documents
In addition, you will craft an email to the CEO and the Board of Directors, explaining the purpose of the Intake Packet and all its components. Your email should use proper email formatting (including subject line description) and contain language appropriate to the receiver. (Here is a library resource for help writing a professional email.)
Finally, develop a PowerPoint presentation with audio for placement on the Facility website. (Here is a library resource for help creating a PowerPoint presentation.) Your audience includes past, current, and future patients. In the PowerPoint presentation, you will address the following:
- The Ethics and Values of the organization and an overview of the Code of Ethics
- The Purpose of the Intake Packet
- Explanation of HIPAA, and its goals and purpose
- Description and encouragement to sign the form acknowledging receipt
The PowerPoint presentation (or other shareable Webware/software you prefer) should be done with narration in which you explain each component of the Intake Packet.
- The PowerPoint should be between 10 and 15 slides.
- Describe each component of the Intake Packet.
- Use the notes area on each slide as needed to expand on the key points.
- You may use a free screen capture site such as Screencast-O-Matic to record a video of your presentation. Screencast-O-Matic is a site and program that can perform screen desk and audio capture up to 15 minutes for free, and can be utilized on a Windows or Mac computer. (Note: You can use another, similar program if you prefer. Screencast-O-Matic is only a suggestion). Make sure that both your voice and the PowerPoint slides are captured on the video.
NOTE – APA formatting for the reference list, and proper grammar, punctuation, and form required. APA help is available here.
Please help again with my homework, thanks!