Topic 1 Article: “The Aftermath of Crawford and Davis: Deconstructing the Sound of Silence
Article: “The Aftermath of Crawford and Davis: Deconstructing the Sound of Silence”
You should have read the article: “The Aftermath of Crawford and Davis: Deconstructing the Sound of Silence.” How do you feel about mandatory arrest policies and no-drop prosecution policies? Do they help victims of domestic violence? Support your opinion with examples.
Topic 2 Article: “Battered women’s movement ideals and judge-led social change…
Article: “Battered women’s movement ideals and judge-led social change in domestic violence courts.”
Read the following Kaplan Library article:
• Mirchandani, R. (2004) Battered women’s movement ideals and judge-led social change in domestic violence courts. Good Society Journal, 13(1), 32–37. Retrieved from http://web.ebscohost.com.lib.kaplan.edu/ehost/[email protected]&vid=2&hid=104&bquery=%2The+Aftermath+of+Crawford+and+Davis%3a+Deconstructing+the+Sound+of+Silence22&bdata=JmRiPWFwaCZjbGkwPUZUJmNsdjA9WSZ0eXBlPTAmc2l0ZT1laG9zdC1saXZl After reading the article respond to the following questions.
Explain the purpose of specialized courts. What are some of the positive and negative responses to having domestic violence courts? Which response do you more support? Why?
Writing introduction and conclusion paragraphs may seem daunting, whether you are just having a hard time coming up with those first few sentences or just do not know how to bring your paper to a close. This Discussion gives you an opportunity to post draft versions of your introduction and conclusion paragraphs for your persuasive essay so that you can receive feedback on their effectiveness from your peers and the instructor. You may find it helpful to post your introduction and conclusion paragraphs early in the unit so that you have time to revise them for the unit’s Assignment based on the feedback you receive and the insights you find from the Learning Activities.
Include all of the following in your Discussion post:
• A draft of your introduction paragraph for your persuasive essay using one of the techniques described in the Learning Activities
• A thesis statement as the last sentence of your introduction
• A draft of your conclusion paragraph for your persuasive essay
• An explanation of what motivated your decisions when writing both paragraphs, such as why you used a particular technique and the impact you want to have on your audience with these paragraphs
To earn full participation credit, you will need to respond substantively to at least two peers’ initial Discussion posts. These responses should stay on topic and generate further discussion by asking questions, mentioning relevant examples, and if possible, referencing concepts from the unit Learning Activities.
When responding to a peer, exercise tact and be specific in what you say. Take your time and develop your thoughts so that you can help out a fellow writer. Please do not focus on or mark GUM (grammar, usage, and mechanics) issues. The following questions will help you to create constructive feedback on your peers’ paragraphs:
• Do the paragraphs show an awareness of audience and purpose? That is, does the writer take into consideration that the purpose of the paper is to persuade which means the audience may not share the writer’s view on the issue? Where is the persuasion effective and where does it need more work?
• What is one strength you identified in each paragraph? Why is it a strength? What is one aspect of each paragraph that needs improvement? How can it be improved?
• What lingering questions do you have about these paragraphs or your classmate’s topic in general?
All Discussion posts and responses to peers should be written in complete sentences using Standard American English. Before posting, proofread for grammar, spelling, and word-choice issues. Be sure to respond fully to every aspect of the Discussion.
When you refer to concepts from the unit’s Learning Activities, be sure to use a signal phrase like “According to . . .[name of reading].” If you are directly quoting the Learning Activities or another source, be sure to use quotation marks and cite the source using proper APA in-text citations and full references. Kaplan University Writing Center has resources on APA citation formatting.
You can review a sample Discussion post and response to a peer by clicking on the following link: Unit 8 Sample Discussion Assignment.
You can review the rubric the instructor will use when determining your Discussion grade by clicking on the following link: Discussion Assignment Grading Rubric.