CRJ 441 Crime Mapping Techniques; Project Mapping Assignment 1: Crime Analyst Part 1
You are a crime analyst for a police department that employs 200 sworn officers and 75 civilian personnel. Your city has recently been experiencing a rash of residential burglaries in numerous communities throughout the city. You have been asked by the Chief of Police to help analyze this data and work with police to determine where they should be placing their resources in order to catch the criminals. In this assignment, you will be tasked with constructing a report to the Chief of Police and Mayor of your city proposing how you will go about this task.
Write a three to four (3-4) page paper in which you:
- Describe the communities in your neighborhood based on demographics, population, socio-economic status, etc. Note: When describing your city, you may either create a fictitious community or use the existing communities in your city.
- Determine three (3) facts related to these residential burglaries. Be sure to describe what the offenders are taking, how they are entering the homes / apartments, any witnesses to the acts, etc. Note: You should be creative and try to make this as realistic as possible.
- Using the various theories we have discussed in class text, apply two (2) theories to the specific crimes that are taking place. Next give your opinion as to why you think these crimes are happening.
- Use three (3) quality academic resources in this assignment. Note: Wikipedia and other Websites do not qualify as academic resources.
REQUIRED RESOURCE/Course Text:
Crime Mapping and Spatial Aspects of Crime, 2/E Derek J. Paulsen, Appalachian State University Matthew B. Robinson, Appalachian State University ISBN-10: 0205609457 • ISBN-13: 9780205609451
Your assignment must follow these formatting requirements:
- Be typed, double spaced, using Times New Roman font (size 12), with one-inch margins on all sides; citations and references must follow APA or school-specific format. Check with your professor for any additional instructions.