Clinical Field Experience C: Literacy Pre-Assessment and Lesson Plan
Allocate at least 4 hours in the field to complete this field experience.
Part 1: Mini-Lesson Plan
Use the data received from the “Clinical Field Experience B” pre-assessment to complete the “ELA Mini-Lesson Plan” template. Be sure to incorporate the chosen book identified with your mentor teacher to create ELA activities in your mini-lesson plan. This mini-lesson plan will be administered to the selected group of students to support instruction to meet the selected standards.
Your mini-lesson should include.
- Grade level, ELA standards, learning objectives, description of the unit the field experience class is currently learning
- Book that can be used to create ELA activities appropriate for the identified students.
- Instructional strategies that encourage students to apply listening, speaking, and writing skills OR apply personal opinions toward the interpretation of texts.
- A 100-150 word description of the ELA learning activity that is directly related to the data received from the pre-assessment
- Formative Assessment (to be created and administered in Clinical Field Experience D)
Part 2: Mini-Lesson Plan Implementation
After completing the “ELA Mini-Lesson Plan,” share it with your mentor teacher for feedback. Provided permission, teach the mini-lesson plan to the small group of selected students. During your lesson, ensure you are answering questions from your students, asking questions that support critical thinking and problem solving, and observing the understanding from each student. (This might require formative assessments before, during, and after the lesson to determine understanding.)
If you are not able to implement the lesson, speak with your instructor for an alternate assignment.
Speak with your mentor teacher and, provided permission, use any remaining time to seek out opportunities to observe and/or assist your mentor teacher or another teacher and work with a small group of students on instruction in the classroom. Your mentor teacher must approve any hours spent observing another classroom environment.
Part 3: Reflection
In 250-500 words, summarize and reflect upon mentor teacher feedback related to your lesson plan, as well as lesson delivery. Identify successes of your lesson plan delivery as well as areas of potential growth.
*What accommodations, if any would you implement during testing to meet the needs of diverse students?
*Be sure to explain how you will use your findings in your future professional practice.
Submit the “ELA Mini-Lesson Plan” and reflection as one deliverable.
APA format is not required, but solid academic writing is expected.
This assignment uses a rubric. Review the rubric prior to beginning the assignment to become familiar with the expectations for successful completion.