Case Brief #2
Case Brief (10% of Grade):
You can choose one of the cases below. You will prepare a written brief in the format also outlined below. Late papers will not be accepted without a documented medical excuse.
Topic Case Citation
2. Right to Privacy/Abortion Roe v. Wade,
410 U.S. 113 (1973)
3. Informed Consent/Battery Duncan v. Scottsdale Med.
vs. Negligence Imaging, Ltd.70 P.3d 435 (2003)
4. Right to Contraception Griswold v. Connecticut
381 U.S 479 (1965)
5. Right to Die/End of Life Cruzan v. Director, Missouri Dept. of
Health,497 U.S. 261 (1990)
6. Affordable Care Act/ King v. Burwell, 576 U.S. (2015)
Format for Case Brief:
1. Find and read case. Google Legal Scholar should have additional information on the case.
2. Watch the following video on how to brief a case: com/watch?v=bhKOv0VQENY.%20″>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhKOv0VQENY.
3. Read the following articles on how to brief a case: http://www.lawnerds.com/guide/briefing.html; http://www.cengage.com/resource_uploads/downloads/032459574 3_156000.pdf.
4. Write the brief in your own words and include the answers to the following in the order presented:
a) The complete title and citation for the case.
b) Explain which court decided this case.
c) How did the case get to the court? Discuss the procedural history of the case.
d) What legal issues were decided by the in this case?
e) Discuss the facts of the case. (Who are parties? What happened?)
f) What did the court decide? Give its holding (decision) and the reasons it gave for the decision (reasoning)?
g) Was the decision unanimous? If not, who dissented and why did they dissent?
h) Why is this case important for health care administrators?
i) What do you think about the decision?