CASE ANALYSIS CASEY ANTHONY
The Casey Anthony / Caylee Anthony Trial. This case involved the death of a two year old child named Caylee Anthony who lived in Orlando, Florida. In 2008, the child was reported missing, and her mother, Casey Anthony, was charged with murder before the ultimate discovery of the child’s body later that year. The State sought the death penalty. The resulting trial in 2011, lasted six weeks, and gathered a tremendous amount of media attention, as it was televised live and included many interesting witnesses in this largely circumstantial case. Casey Anthony was ultimately found not guilty by a jury. (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Death_of_Caylee_Anthony)
Structure your paper as follows:
1. Give a brief explanation of the burden of proof, which is proof beyond a reasonable doubt in a criminal prosecution.
2. Give a brief explanation of prima facie.
3. Give a brief explanation of the applicable code the prosecution was brought under.
4. Give a brief explanation of why the Simpson trial was so pivotal to the prosecution of crimes in the United States.
II. Opening Statements
1. Which attorney was most persuasive?
2. Which attorney gave the jury more significant facts to consider?
III. Establishing/Challenging a Prima Facie Case for Murder
1. Name one key witness who helped establish a prima facie case of homicide for the prosecution or challenged a prima facie case for the defense, and explain why he or she helped or hurt the prosecution of the case.
1. What other evidence (than testimony) was significant in establishing or challenging a prima facie case of murder?
V. Closing Arguments
1. Describe why one was more persuasive than the other, and how the jury would have been persuaded one way or the other based on the closing statements.
VI. Outside Factors
1. Are there any other outside factors, other than those listed in the book that affected this case? (e.g., the media, society)
2. Why do you think this is such a divisive case in the United States?
VII. Concluding thoughts
- As a budding criminal justice scholar, discuss briefly why this case is important to the study of criminal justice and criminal prosecution, and how reading primary documentation about it has changed your own perspective on the case.
1. Paper should be a minimum of 1,250 words or about five pages
2. Double space
3. 12 pt. font
4. 1″ margins
5. Use APA citations for all sources (outside references not required)
6. Include APA reference page (not included in word count)
7. Additionally –
Create a cover page for your assignment (not included in word count)
- Include your name
- Course title and number
- Project title
- Topic selected
- Date of submission