Assignment 1: Discussion Assignment
The discussion assignment provides a forum for discussing relevant topics for this week based on the course competencies covered.
To support your work, use your course and text readings and also use the South University Online Library. As in all assignments, cite your sources in your work and provide references for the citations in APA format. Make sure all references are cited in APA format. References should be current at least within the last 5 years. Remember that references should be used to support your peer responses.
ORs and RRs
This assignment will help you analyze the relationship of risk (of an illness) to exposure in public health regression analyses. Both ORs and RRs can be used to demonstrate the relationship between exposure and risk. However, each has its own advantages and disadvantages. While ORs are often used in professional papers, they are also often mistaken for RRs. RRs would often be the better choice as they are less complex than ORs and the interpretation is straightforward.
Using the South University Online Library, the Internet, and your text readings, research the following:
On the basis of your research, respond to the following:
- Identify and state the definition of an OR that you feel is easy to understand.
- In your own words, explain what an OR is and for what it is used.
- Identify and state the definition of an RR that you feel is easy to understand.
- In your own words, explain what an RR is and for what it is used.
- Compare and contrast ORs and RRs and how they are used for multisample inferences.
- Explain the advantages and disadvantages of using each ratio.